I am a member of a book club/poetry group and it got me thinking. Why have I chosen the artists/writers I have over the years? Having grown up in an environment such as mine-teachers-specifically English teacher, Microbiologist and Art teacher I can understand some of the choices I have made.
Classic such as Jane Austen, The Bronte Sisters, Edith Wharton, Monet, Georgia O'Keefe, Ansel Adams, Robert Frost.
But some of the choices I have made are unusual. Sylvia Path (in turn, worrying my mother), Diane Arbus, Frida Kahlo, Truman Capote, Anne Sexton, Van Gogh and Gauguin. Suicide, tragic deaths and lives.
As an artist myself, I was never really the tragic soul I thought I should be.
Now now, not all artists have tragic lives...
ReplyDeleteMary Casset
Da vinci
Alfonse Mucha
just to name a few of my favorites..They had full lives, maybe a tragic death, in one case, or died young, as was the custom of the time, but look at Monet..blind and still painting water lilies in a beautiful garden.
Art is just heart ,out there for everyone to see.
Tormented souls can and do create beautiful works of art: Vincent Van Gogh, for one.
ReplyDeleteWhat a dummy. I thought I was being so brilliant and here you had already mentioned Van Gogh. Okay, did you mention Edna St. Vincent Millay? I hope not!
ReplyDelete