I copied this from my good friend, kansasrose's blog. Help is urgently needed.
"I think the best thing now for out of state Americans is to call the American Red Cross at 1-800-REDCROSS. The KAKE NEWS.COM has Kansas state sources for donations and drop off points. AS more information and links on ways to send donations of moneys and goods such as clothing, toys, household items, food, medical ect comes in I will post them here for out of staters."
THank you so much Kim. I knew I could count on you and few of the "originals" to care. I saw your post..pretty sad isn't it. You know what and where I am referring to. 2 years ago it would have been different.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm sure there are organizations that can do a better job the Red Cross. Did you know they'll send bills out later to those they 'help'? Not much help when you've lost everything to get a bill in the mail.
ReplyDeleteI prefer the Salvation Army myself. I know it's a Christian organization, and there are folks who just dig in their heels over giving anything to a 'religious' group, but they don't spend a dime of any contributions on administration; it all goes to the people who need it and they don't charge for helping.
Anyway, look for other ways to help.
I happen to know people locally that volunteer and work for the Red Cross. They are a very good organization and I have never heard of sending bills to people they help. That is ridculous.
ReplyDeleteI think that any way any one of us can help is an excellent way, no matter what organization you go through. Help is help and everyon has their favorite.
ReplyDeleteThe important thing is to just help.
Okay, I had to go look it up...it appears the billing rumor stems from WWII, when GI's were charged for some services.
ReplyDeleteCity Boy worked with someone a few years back who said he'd been sent a bill from Red Cross at one time. I was slow to believe it, so on a forum I belong to, I asked during Hurricane Katrina about RC, receiving answers from several people saying they'd had poor experiences. That is what formed my opinion.
However...it would appear that RC does not send bills to victims like I previously stated.